Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Nobody puts Baby in the corner

Okay, so it's gone beyond a little wildlife stewardship and turned into true love. I have officially imprinted this young Blue Jay.

And I've named her after my favorite character in the epic film Dirty Dancing. Baby. (Well, not really. But Baby it is.)

I know she's just using me for my seemingly endless supply of crickets (she goes through at least 50 a day!), but I pretend that she has developed some level of affection for me. When I go out onto the porch, she talks to me for a few minutes from her perch in the pines- and I know it's her! Seriously, I'm smitten.

When shes wants a cricket, she flies to the porch railing or my outstretched finger. Very Zip-a-dee-doo-dah. From there, we begin the ritual of me supplying live crickets and her gulping them down. After about five to seven, she settles down, hangs out on my hand for a couple of minutes, and then flies back to the pines.

I know it won't last (alas, these types of relationships fade quickly) and I can already sense that she's building confidence. Jays are independent birds and I'm sure she'll follow nature over nurture.In the meantime, I'm happy to have her around.

3 comments:

  1. Too, too cute ! I do believe Blue Jays are tough birds though...I have seen one take down a Cardinal, and believe me the cardinal never got back up ! Enjoy your baby !! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...I'm so jealous! How fun is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish i would see the waxwing that Kris & I brought back from Michigan again. It didn't even have all of it's feathers yet, when we were eating outside at Freddy's Freeze & found it in a dirt parking lot. Kris found crickets & I gave it grapes. I'm glad you get to see yours sometimes. I gave, gave & gave & what do I get? He doesn't call, he doesn't write.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin