Sunday, December 5, 2010

I love this.

I drive all the time. Plants can't come to me, so I go to them. That means that within the states of North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia I know every inch of road, every clean bathroom and every decent (and not-so-decent) place to get a bite to eat.

And I get to see the quirky, off-the-beaten-path places that make the South great. One of my favorites is this building on the way to Bishopville, South Carolina. I'm guessing it was some sort of speakeasy- I don't think people go there anymore because I've never seen a car nearby and it's nothing but cotton fields for miles.Every time I drive by, I think, What drove someone to ban people under the age of 35? Was he sick of hearing the trivial banter of those between the ages of 21 and 34?
Do they card?

I can't imagine the crowd that used to hang out at the "35 and Over" club. I don't think anyone would dare enter without a previous invitation. Cinder block, barred windows, gated door. No thank you.

Still, I've driven past it at least once a month for six years and it makes me smile every time. I'd love to know the back-story.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for another excellent post. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such an ideal way of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such info.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin