Friday, September 11, 2009

Prepare to be Wowed Shrimp

I'm not a great cook, but when my sister came to visit me a couple of months ago, I wanted to make something Lowcountry. And I found a recipe that I decided I could handle.

When I set the large pan of roasted shrimp on the table, I kiddingly said, "Now, Kelley.....Prepare to be wowed!" Of course, she rolled her eyes and laughed.

Well, as a surprise to both me and my sister (who is a great cook), it was fantastic. And from that day on, the dish changed names from Barbecued Shrimp to Prepare to be Wowed Shrimp.

It's a simple dish of shrimp, citrus, garlic and pepper that involves virtually no kitchen skills. Just be sure to use fresh local shrimp.

Although I would like to take credit for this creation, props go to the editors of
Coastal Living magazine. This recipe was featured in the 2007 "Best of Coastal Living" issue. And it deserves to be shared.Prepare to be Wowed Shrimp

5 lb unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
1 bunch celery, with leaves
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (2 ounce) jar cracked pepper
2-3 teaspoons salt
1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce
6 lemons, cut into wedges
2 cups butter, cut into pieces

PLACE shrimp in a large roasting pan.
CUT celery into 4-6 inch lengths. Add celery and next 6 ingredients to shrimp.
SQUEEZE lemon wedges over the top. Stir wedges into shrimp mixture.
DOT with butter

BROIL shrimp 5 inches from heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until shrimp just begin to turn pink. Reduce temperature to 350F and bake, stirring often, 20-25 minutes or until shrimp turn pink (do not overcook).

Makes 8-10 servings.
*********************************************************
I know what you are thinking- that's a bunch of butter! It is.
But you need it for the delicious sauce that is created at the bottom of the pan. Sopping up that goodness with some crusty bread is essential to the enjoyment of this dish.

When I made it for Kelley and myself, I quartered the recipe. It reduced the cooking time significantly, so just know that its done when the shrimp turn pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin