Monday, August 3, 2009

Eating Seasonally


Does anyone remember eagerly anticipating the arrival of watermelons in the summer? It seems that they would not appear in the grocery store until around the 4th of July, just in time for Independence Day celebrations and picnics. Now, we can get any type of fruit or vegetable any time of year.

This isn't entirely bad- in fact it seems indulgent and wonderful- but different harvests signal changing seasons. It's kind of exciting when pumpkins show up at the market, signaling the onset of fall. And I love when the signs for pick-your-own strawberries and blueberries appear along Highway 17.

If you are a tomato sandwich lover like me, you dream of vine-ripe tomatoes- the only kind suitable for this divine meal. I'm not sure I'd crave them as much if I could eat them all year.

A friend of mine asked me to post what's "in season" once a month on this site. Here's a list of what at it's peak in the south in August

Sweet Corn

Plum
s
Peach
es
Tomato
es
Carrot
s
Green Onions
Peanuts
Leeks
Onions
Basil
Figs

Okra
Peppers

Summer Squash

Eggplant

Zucchini

Beans (snap, pole, variety)
Beets
Butter Beans
Cauliflower
Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Salad Greens

I'm sure there's more....add to the list if I've missed something!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin