Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Attempts at Self-Sufficiency

I've gotten pretty good at throwing the cast net and I have caught enough shrimp for several meals (I'm obsessed). While I've grown my own vegetables, I had never before harvested the meat that I eat.

And I have to say, it is empowering! It has made me think about how even though I know how to grow my food, I currently don't.

I'm ready to change that.

My weekend project is going to be a compost bin. No more throwing kitchen waste into the trash can.....From now on it will all go into my compost bin.

It's embarrassing that I haven't composted since I moved to Charleston. I just read that 23% of all U.S. waste is "yard trimmings and food residuals" (EPA)! So shameful.

The compost bin will be simple and utilitarian (I'm no Martha Stewart)- four metal posts in a 3'x3' square with wooden snow fencing attached around the perimeter with wire.

Anything that is biodegradable* (fruit and vegetable scraps, coffee grounds and filters, paper towels, fallen branches, leaves, etc.) will go into the bin and I'll be on my way to having compost for the vegetable garden!


I'll take pictures when I'm done and let you know on a scale of 1-10 how much work it ends up being.

*The EPA has great information about what can and can not be composted

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin